|Title||Corporate Communications Intern
|Region||Twin Cities Metro
CenterPoint Energy is always there in everything you do, from 24-hour-a-day television broadcasts, to gourmet gas kitchens, comfortable gas heating, hand-held computers and cellular phone connections. We operate in four primary businesses:
Natural Gas Distribution
We sell and deliver natural gas to 3.2million homes and businesses in Arkansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas, including the high-growth areas of Houston and Minneapolis.
Electric Transmission & Distribution (T&D)
We maintain the wires, poles and electric infrastructure serving our 5,000-square-mile electric service territory in the Houston metropolitan area. While our employees ensure the reliable delivery of power from power plants to homes and businesses, we neither generate power nor sell it to customers.
Competitive Natural Gas Sales and Services
Our natural gas marketing business, CenterPoint Energy Services (CES), sells non rate-regulated natural gas and related services to approximately 100,000 commercial, industrial and wholesale customers in32 states.
Home Service Plus® (HSP)
For over 80 years, HSP has provided heating and cooling solutions for Minnesota homeowners. We proudly offer expert repair, along with service and maintenance plans, and professional sales for both gas and electric equipment.
Provides support to Corporate Communications including community relations by working on a variety of projects, with an emphasis on writing and editing for a variety of styles, including news/editorial, promotion, advertising, employee communication, web-based and electronic communication and as playing the company mascot.
- Writes and edits copy that that supports Corporate Communications internal and external communication, including employee communications, Regulatory rate case communications, marketing, advertising, news releases, web copy and media relations initiatives.
- Works with media relations manager on pitching story ideas.
- Drafts stories and assists in the production of company internal news, a weekly company-wide electronic newsletter.
- Publishes and manages web content for internal and external audiences. May also work with SharePoint, a web-based collaboration tool.
- Supports preparation of web pages for migration to a new web platform, reviewing and updating content as needed.
- Updates the company intranet and Internet, as directed.
- Assists by providing content to the social media team with monitoring to customer postings, as well as proactive messages in support of company initiatives and community programs.
- Provides general assistance to project managers.
- Performs in costume as company Mascot at community events.
- Requires current enrollment in pursuit of an undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing Communications, or another related field from an accredited college or university.
- No prior work experience required.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Licenses/Certifications, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics (KSLAPs):
- Able to demonstrate general knowledge of best practices in writing for a variety of styles.
- Able to demonstrate general knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) writing style.
- Able to demonstrate general knowledge of best practices in web writing.
- Able to develop web content from print copy.
- Able to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences in written and oral form.
- Able to work effectively in a team oriented environment.
- Able to listen actively; clarify information as needed; convey understanding of the questions, instructions or comments of others and convey information in an appropriate manner.
- Able to work independently through the use of initiative and self-motivation.
- Able to use computer software including proficiency with word processing, email, graphics/presentations and any specialized products.
- Able to demonstrate strong customer service skills.
- Able to adapt quickly to changing demands and to demonstrate flexibility in the face of change or uncertainty.
- Able to interact with all levels of management and associates and perform well.
- Able to work with confidential information, materials and files in an appropriate, professional and discrete manner.
- Able to exercise tact, diplomacy and good judgment.
- Able to multi-task and manage several projects, activities or deadlines at one time.
- Able to read, speak, write and understand English.
- Able to demonstrate commitment to compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Company’s Ethics and Compliance Code, and other Company policies and procedures, and take all required training courses.
- Able to demonstrate respect for all individuals and adhere to the Company’s values and business practices.
|Compensation & Benefits||