|Company||Zoological Society of Milwaukee
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee (Society) was established in 1910 as an informal group of community leaders who bought animals and raised funds for the Milwaukee County Zoo. Today it is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization with a mission to conserve, educate and support the Milwaukee County Zoo.
This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with colleagues at the Zoological Society and Milwaukee County Zoo to communicate the great work being done by the Zoological Society and the Zoo. This is a full-time position reporting to the publications and public relations manager at the Zoological Society of Milwaukee's main office on the grounds of the Milwaukee County Zoo. For more information about the Society, please see www.zoosociety.org.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Pitching stories to local media to promote the Zoological Society’s programs, events and initiatives.
- Developing talking points for staff, producing several news releases per month and developing public relations strategies for Society programs and events, including a comprehensive public relations calendar.
- Writing feature stories for Society publications and serving as the editor of Wild Things newsletter (published six times a year) under the direction of the public relations and publications manager.
- Editing flyers, invitations, emails, banners, signs, brochures, proposals, reports, posters, children's materials and other projects.
- Planning and publishing social media posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Pinterest.
- Arranging media interviews and occasionally appearing as a Society spokesperson in the media.
- Working some evening and weekend hours, on occasion.
- College degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field required.
- Proven experience in public/media relations.
- Must have strong writing/grammar skills, attention to detail and strong interviewing skills.
- Must be fluent in social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Must have ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and independently on short deadlines.
- Must be able to think creatively, work in a team and generate ideas.
- Must be flexible, willing to do a variety of tasks and willing to work some evenings and weekend days.
- Physical movements required: ability to walk around the Zoo for up to two hours.
- Two to three years of public relations experience.
- Experience arranging media interviews and appearing in on-camera interviews.
- Experience creating media and public relations calendars and tracking media mentions.
- Connections to local media outlets.
- Knowledge of social media analytics.
|Compensation & Benefits||
The Zoological Society offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.