|Company||Lynn Hazan & Associates
|Title||Director of Convention & Meeting Planning
Executive recruiting company specializing in marketing and communications.
Direct overall strategy, planning & execution of association meetings, Annual Convention & Meeting Planning Division staff (7 staff, including 2 direct reports: Assis. Dir, Meetings & Events, Assis Dir, Continuing Education) Report to Chief Products and Services Officer.
Are you passionate about using your convention management talent to make contributions to an 88,000 member professional association in the Chicago area? Do you have leadership and innovation experience in the convention-meeting planning business? Have you worked on continuing education and with sponsors/exhibiters for the exhibit halls? Will consider out of town candidates, relocation support provided.
Staff supervisory experience, oversight experience in planning and managing large conferences and continuing education are must haves. Candidate excels in working with volunteer leadership and Boards of Directors.
National professional association in the health space seeks Director of Convention & Meeting Planning for its Chicago area headquarters. Ideal candidate is a working director (or senior director ready to move up to a larger organization) with professional association experience; enjoys the strategy, planning and execution of its programs, continuing education, staff supervision and hands on execution. Candidate has successfully moved up in career responsibilities and has a track record of success. Certified meeting planners (CMP) are encouraged to apply. 15% travel. Excellent benefits & flexible hours.
- 7-10 years of management level experience in convention/meeting planning, preferably from a national, professional membership association.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically plan & coordinate all phases of convention & meeting functions within an association.
- Strong leader with excellent relationship management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written & verbal).
- Able to effectively communicate with members of scientific & non-scientific community.
- Extensive contract knowledge & strong contract negotiation skills.
- Able to handle multiple priorities & deadlines; function well autonomously & as team member Creative with strong proactive project management skills.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Products, Meeting and Exhibit Management Tools.
- Experience in educational program development, delivery and evaluation.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteer leadership.
- Must be able to travel on behalf of the association as needed.
- Must be able to work outside of normal business hours, including weekends, as required
- BS or BA Degree in Business or a related discipline or equivalent experience
- Certified Meeting Planner (CMP) designation highly desirable
- 20-25%: staff management & direction, provide staff tools to facilitate their work
- 50-70%: direct strategy & planning for annual convention, review the competition, exhibits & sponsorships, continuing education, build relationships, site visits
- 10-20%: internal meetings & events-be resource to internal staff
- Provide overall strategy, planning, & execution of association meetings & Annual Convention (different locations across U.S).
- Oversee RFP & selection process for Convention vendors.
- Maintain supplier relationships
- Provide primary staff support to governance entities.
- Oversee staff support to Leadership Conference Planning Committee.
- Participate in forming & executing Association’s policies, objectives & programs as they relate to strategic plans, especially Convention activities.
- Develop and oversee Division & Convention budgets.
- Negotiate agreements for meetings with related organizations.
- Identify & develop educational programs/events to attract attendees & sponsors to Annual Convention.
- Collaborate with Corporate Relations to identify sponsored Convention activities.
- Attend meetings of Board of Directors & other governance entities as requested to provide updated information of divisional activities.
- Hire, orient, manage & mentor division staff in team-oriented environment.
- As part of Association management team, make recommendations re: association policies, programs, & procedures; participate in meetings related to the profession.
- Update Chief Products & Services Officer on Division’s activities.
- Responsible for performance management of direct reports & all division staff: establish goals & priorities; provide ongoing performance feedback; conduct annual & mid-year performance appraisals; hire staff; apply appropriate disciplinary actions when applicable within Association policy & procedures.
- Interpret, explain, & ensure compliance with Association policies, rules & regulations
- Act as staff support to assigned entities
- Function in staff advisory capacity to ensure compliance with convention policies & programs by association members & other divisions, SBU’s and Shared Services areas.
|Compensation & Benefits||