|Title||Milwaukee Magazine Art Director
A leading global provider of print and media solutions, Quad/Graphics is powered by a passion for innovation and the most advanced platform in the industry. Our collaborative team of “can-do” people continually challenge the status quo, creating groundbreaking solutions that push the boundaries of communications.
Milwaukee Magazine, one of the nation’s most respected city and regional magazines, has an opening for an art director. We are looking for an enthusiastic editorial designer with the experience and energy to lead our small-but-talented art department to new heights.
About Milwaukee Magazine: Known for its award-winning in-depth profiles, investigative features, reader service pieces and top-notch dining and entertainment packages, the magazine is central to Milwaukee’s media landscape. We are located in the Historic Third Ward, mere steps from Lake Michigan, and have a front-row view of the city’s burgeoning downtown while we serve the entire metro Milwaukee area
The art director will work with the editor in chief to shape the direction of the magazine’s look, ensuring that it is in synch with the editorial vision and reflects the taste and style of the readership. The ideal candidate will have a passion for good design, a thorough knowledge of which publications are breaking new ground with their art direction, and a desire to best one’s own work with each new issue. This person should have a proven track record of creating covers that drive newsstand sales. A keen eye for photography, exceptional typography skills, and the ability to create images using infographics or typography are all musts.
You should be a gentle, inspiring leader (think: Mary Poppins), who can scrutinize the work of other designers and articulate what is needed to bring the layouts to the next level. A collaborative spirit is imperative.
Experience: Five years of experience designing or art directing for a national or regional consumer magazine or B2B publication preferred. Minimum two years of experience hiring, managing, and mentoring designers; managing a budget; and producing photo shoots including portraits, food, fashion and still photos.
- Design and layout monthly issues of 100-plus page publication
- Work collaboratively with editors in development of stories from idea phase to production
- Supervise the senior designer, graphic designer and staff photographer
- Manage part-time photo, design and video interns
- Cultivate and expand the magazine’s network of freelance photographers, illustrators and artists
- Manage workflow and monthly deadlines
- Prepare photos and design files for printer
- Assign projects to contributing artists and direct photo shoots as needed
- Manage custom publications in tandem with regular issues
- Manage monthly budget
- Oversee overall look of Milwaukee Magazine brand across platforms
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in editorial design
- Minimum of 2 years’ managerial experience
- Strong background in monthly magazines preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative software and Macs
- A clean, crisp and innovative design aesthetic
- Mastery of typography
- Superior communication skills and a friendly, can-do attitude
- The ability to work independently, while being receptive to feedback
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines
- Consistent attention to detail
- Creativity to conceptualize new approaches to recurring topics
|Compensation & Benefits||
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, including 401(k), holidays, vacations and more.
Quad/Graphics is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company’s policy is not to unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories.
Drug Free Workplace.