Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
The marketing and communications director in the risk management business will proactively develop external and internal communications and marketing strategies to position Cargill as a leader in providing hedging and commodity investment strategies to its customers. This individual will work closely with and support global sales teams, partners and function leaders to implement strategic communications and marketing initiatives to support business goals. This individual will serve on the Cargill Risk Management leadership team and advise senior leaders on internal and external strategies, including issues management and stakeholder engagement. The marketing & communications director oversees development of messages and vehicles which support the business, promote strategic alignment, deliver to the customer, engage employees and drive understanding among key stakeholders. This is a dynamic environment offering the right individual the ability to develop new skills and build relationships in a global business. We are seeking a self-starter, a strategic and creative thinker, a collaborator and an innovator.
25% - External Communications
- Develop and implement strategic communications and marketing plans to support business initiatives, reach customers and engage stakeholders.
- Plan and direct public relations and marketing communications efforts that favorably position the business to relevant stakeholders in the marketplace.
- Handle business-specific issues management activities, in alignment with Corporate Affairs and Compliance.
- Coordinate news releases and media interviews with regional Corporate Affairs teams to assure consistency of message and streamline contacts with media.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key trade media. Monitor industry news and identify communication opportunities to position Cargill as a leader in commodity price risk management.
- Coach business leadership on effective media interview and presentation techniques.
30% - Marketing Communications
- Lead development and management of value propositions, external brand positioning and strategic marketing initiatives for the business, its products and digital platforms.
- Oversee the work of the Senior Marketing Specialist to produce all go-to-market presentations and materials, including print and digital collateral, working closely with Compliance and Law to adhere to marketing and compliance policies.
- Lead industry trade show strategy and secure speaking engagements for business leadership, writing speeches and providing public speaking coaching.
- Responsible for oversight of online content for websites, social media and other channels to generate leads, support sales teams and demonstrate thought leadership.
- Partner with Digital Communications in Corporate Affairs to leverage tools and be consistent with corporate guidelines.
25% - Internal Communications & Employee Engagement
- Lead development and implementation of comprehensive internal communication strategy and annual plan that supports business objectives, manages meaningful change and builds employee engagement.
- Act as a trusted advisor to business leadership on strategies for addressing complex sensitive issues and drive the process of building and aligning the internal culture.
- Lead creation of internal communication messaging and content (Intranet, town halls, newsletters, etc.) in coordination with business initiatives. Partner with Global HR and Compliance to provide communications support through effective internal communication strategies.
- Create and manage mix of communication channels/vehicles (including online) that reach global employees in the most effective way.
- Build in appropriate measurement opportunities to allow continuous improvement and ensure sustainable results.
10% - Corporate Responsibility
- Partner with business leadership and Corporate Affairs to promote and support a culture of corporate responsibility, sustainability, and corporate citizenship across the business.
- Assist with advising business leadership on strategies for addressing the most complex/sensitive issues with the potential to impact Cargill’s brand, reputation, and freedom/license to operate.
- Manage the business’ annual corporate giving strategy and budget, serving in a role to identify and approve strategies and decisions, in line with the business’ and corporate policy.
10% - People/Budget Management
- Manage and provide coaching to the Senior Marketing Specialist.
- Define and manage appropriate budget/resource requirements.
- Oversee the work of outside consultants, managing project scope and budgets, as needed.