About Chicago Shakespeare Theater:
Situated in downtown Chicago on Navy Pier, Chicago Shakespeare Theater has risen since its founding in 1986 to become a leading international theater company and recipient of both the Regional Theatre Tony Award and three Laurence Olivier Awards. Guided by the partnership between founder and Artistic Director Barbara Gaines and Executive Director Criss Henderson, the Theater is dedicated to creating extraordinary productions of Shakespeare and other classics, new works, musicals and family programming; to unlocking Shakespeare’s work for educators and students; and to serving as Chicago’s cultural ambassador through its World Stage Series. Through a year-round season encompassing more than 650 performances, Chicago Shakespeare attracts 225,000 audience members annually. During 2016, the Theater spearheaded Shakespeare 400 Chicago, one of the world’s largest cultural festivals inspired by Shakespeare’s legacy. In 2017, the Theater opened its innovative new performance venue, The Yard at Chicago Shakespeare.
Chicago Shakespeare’s newly created position of Marketing Manager, Ticketing Services leads the operational efforts that support successful ticket sales and fulfillment for an annual audience of over 225,000 across multiple venues. As a vital member of the Marketing and Sales team, this role supervises Box Office operations, and is responsible for building all elements for events and packages on sale in Tessitura—guaranteeing accurate reporting, along with agent-friendly procedures for box office personnel and patrons transacting across any available sales channel. The ideal candidate thrives within a dynamic planning process, translating innovative producing ideas into streamlined systems in Tessitura, all while fostering exceptional customer service and collaboration within the Box Office team.
Sales-Goal Oriented and Responsive Infrastructure
- Understand the timeline of on-sale announcements and individual promotions, making certain targeted offers are on sale on time.
- Implement strategies devised by Marketing and Sales/Producing Offices to increase sales and attendance.
- Monitor ticket sales progress towards goals and maximize opportunities to exceed goals.
- Provide suggestions to improve ticket sales systems for best possible patron experience.
Hire, Train, and Supervise Box Office Staff
- Interview and select Box Office staff members as company needs require.
- Schedule shifts for Box Office, managing time and skills strategically.
- Train staff to serve customers in a variety of potential scenarios.
- Train staff for basic and advanced skills on Tessitura.
- Clearly convey sales goals to Box Office sales agents.
- Prepare and submit weekly payroll for Box Office employees.
Drive Box Office Operations
- Ensure Box Office supervisors and leads are trained and empowered to lead box office operations and agents on a day-to-day basis.
- Convey a comprehensive understanding of the many subscriptions, promotions, price points and seating maps to staff.
- Ensure all members of Box Office staff are familiar with company updates, promotions, programming, technology, etc.
- Connect Box Office staff with other departments of the organization to promote collaboration.
- In consultation with other leadership, set box office hours.
- Select and train candidates from within to perform specific functions in support of the department (Group Sales, Shift Supervision, Scheduling, Tessitura Maintenance, etc.)
- Oversee ticketing and subscription fulfillment by Box Office Staff, communicating with patrons by phone, e-mail, and mail.
Ticketing System Management
- As production seating configurations and dates become available, build seating maps and price zones for each production.
- Build and update all subscription packages and alterative multi-ticket products added throughout the season.
- Design print and e-tickets for each production.
- Maintain performance-related keywords.
- Regularly update prices and promotions in support of meeting sales goals.
- Continually ensure all members of Box Office staff remain up-to-date on Tessitura setup that impacts their day-to-day work.
- Act as a one of the primary contact with Tessitura Tech Services (ticketing support consultants).
- Remain familiar with integrated ticketing/patron systems, including both Tessitura and related software. Keep appraised of all current trends in the area of ticketing for the performing arts and live event industry.