1. Develop positive relationships with members of the media and the university community in order to successfully find and “pitch” stories to the media that reinforce and elevate the university’s academic reputation and other strategic priorities.
2. Work closely with other staff members in the development of overall communication plans, the researching of story ideas and the writing of both print and online materials.
3. Work with members of the communication team to further develop and implement a media relations strategy that supports the university’s overall marketing/communication priorities, including enrollment, fundraising and academic reputation.
4. Serve as primary liaison for a college beat as assigned, providing counsel and assistance for marketing and communication initiatives. Maintain regular beat contacts with members of the university community to identify newsworthy programs, activities and other developments.
5. Develop and maintain positive relationships with members of the local, national and trade media.
6. Identify, develop, pitch and place university stories and events with local, regional, national and trade media.
7. Research and write news releases to disseminate news of university programs and activities to local, regional, national and trade media.
8. Participate in the communication team’s on-call, 24/7 rotation schedule for issues/emergencies and responding to media queries.
9. Based on information developed on beats, write items for the Web, magazine and other communication vehicles as appropriate.
10. Provide communication counsel to university offices and departments, including assisting in the development of communication plans for major initiatives.
11. Edit and/or proofread the work of other members of the communication team.
12. Assist with major news events on campus, including news conferences, major events and the launching of new initiatives.
13. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested.